Monday 4 July 2011

The Herne Tavern - East Dulwich

Listen up my friends! Yesterday I discovered a great place to have Sunday Lunch with the children.

Hubby and I took the boys to The Herne Tavern. It's in East Dulwich, 2 Forest Hill Road to be precise and we had heard on the grapevine that it served up delicious food and we were not disappointed.

It's located on the corner of quite a busy road but opposite beautiful open green spaces which I thought, on arrival, would come in handy. We parked quite easily and ventured in, greeted by smiling bar staff who were friendly and warm. We had booked on line after trying to make a reservation on Fathers Day when it was fully booked so we didn't want to take any chances.

It was quiet inside the bar, but we could hear excitement and what sounded like festivities coming from the beer garden, so we decided to check it out before sitting down to eat. Out the back was the perfect vision for us. Amongst a busy beer garden stood a massive wooden climbing frame with beams, log steps and a slide; a mini tennis court and swing ball! Perfect!

It was a gorgeous sunny day, there were lots of children playing while the parents relaxed with their poison of choice, and (as you can imagine) the boys quickly untangled themselves from our clutches and raced towards the play area. Grabbing tennis rackets, hurling themselves onto the climbing frame and giggling as they swooped down the slide. It was such a lovely surprise. As you would expect it wasn't plain sailing persuading them to come inside for lunch, but after about half an hour they reluctantly acquiesced.

The food was absoutely gorgeous and the childrens portions were huge. Roast chicken for one little bear and Linguine for the other and the vegetarian option for my better half went down very well indeed.

The staff couldn't do enough for us, they were extremely attentive and were very sweet with the boys.

It was a delight and we will definately be going back.

Go visit. Have fun.

Mama xx

The Herne

4 comments:

  1. One of my mummy friends lives over this way so I will definitely suggest we check out the Herne next time in East Dulwich. It sounds great - like you might actually get the chance to drink your drink before it gets warm/cold (depending on what you're drinking, obv!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Its the first time I came across your blog I found you on Brit Mums ;D I think your blog is great and enjoy reading it my blog is new as well and I would like some opinion I would appreciate if you could have a look www.thebabymamablog.com x btw I am your new follower xxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. I loved the Herne tavern in the hay day of my youth! Glad to hear it is moving with the times and still appealing! (Also found you on Britmums) Good blog x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi really nice to see a blog about what goes on in London, it is a great city. Would love for you to have a look at my blog it's stayathomedaddyfor2.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete