Tuesday 24 May 2011

Cannizaro House

You know when another mum tells you about a place you should visit, with the kids and you go and discover something really amazing! Don't you just want to tell every other person you know, so they can share the same experience as you?  Well this is one of those places - and I just hope I can do it justice so you can really see why I love this space.

Cannizaro House is in Wimbledon, the home of grass court tennis; and I can guarantee that you will feel as though you have found the perfect match for a family day or afternoon out in this town!

Incidentally, when I first went with the children we drove, but you can get there by train and bus too if you need to. 

So, okay, let me talk you through it.

We drive through part of Wimbledon Common to get there ( and may I just add at this point, that a drive through Wimbledon is worth it just to look at the glorious houses! OMG they are so stunning really!); and as we are driving we see on the left this utterly beautiful white mansion house, in front of which are a plethora of cars. We pull up to park in one of the bays and search feverishly for the meter to pay but unbelievably there is no meter. The parking is FREE!!!!! Where in London is that possible these days!!  And believe me people this is just the beginning of a catalogue of surprises this place has in store for you.

Okay, so we park up and wander up to the house. Now at this point I am seriously starting to worry about my attire, because the place is so posh looking and I'm concerned I am looking more slummy mummy than yummy mummy! And the trainers on me or my children are not looking well laundered either, so I take a quick wet wipe too them (needs must!) and enter.

It was so lovely what I saw, it was so enchanting and charming and quaint, typically english but so open and inviting at the same time. Directly in front of me was this little hallway with a reception (because it is a hotel! You can actually stay there!) Pass there was an open reception area with oldie worldie leather chairs alongside some more modern upholstery; tables, some piled high with scones and cut crust sandwiches, beautiful art hanging from all the walls, a grand piano, a bar. Smart waiters and waitresses busily working the room ensuring everyone was happy. So, total WOW moment for me. I did not expect that and then I noticed on the other side of the reception, opposite to where I had come in, a small white patio door, completely unassuming given that on the other side of it was the most magnificent slice of Wimbledon Common. 

It was breathtaking when I stepped through that door. Admittedly it was a beautiful day but as far as the eye could see was natural beauty. The lawns were extremely extensive with cobbled steps and walk ways inviting you to explore further. There were trees from so many countries, an arboretum all beautifully standing to attention, some huddled, others just lone soldiers. You could smell the floral investment in the air. Completely stunning. Then you discover the lake, the statues, the Italian gardens and the tree created caves, so awesome and so unexpected.

What I loved is the fact that this slice of Wimbledon Common is public! So anyone can go there and enjoy but in the knowledge that if you want  the perfect cup of tea, some food for your children or yourself, a jug of Pimms, great quality wine...it's just there!!! And the toilets in Cannizaro House are spotless too!! Could it get anymore perfect?

Let me tell you, the children did not want to leave. We have been there about 5 times now and each time we discover something new. Oh and Wimbledon Village is five minutes away if you need anything like, food for a picnic, more wet wipes or Prada sunglasses!!

One thing to mention before sign off, there is a separate entrance to the side of Cannizaro House if you feel slightly intimidated by my description but I reckon you should be bold and go straight through the front door!

A true hidden gem of London.

When you go please report back.

Love Mama xx

www.cannizarohouse.com

No comments:

Post a Comment