Sunday 29 May 2011

Half Term

It comes around so quickly doesn't it? One minute you are taking them to school everyday and then you've got them for a whole week! When I had my first half term with the boys, it just crept up on me. I didn't pre plan at all and to be honest I was at a bit of a loss as to what to do.

I think it's really easy to go crazy and try too many things and then leave yourself completely exhausted at the end of it. So my recommendation is to combine a few different explorative flavas that ensure they have a good time but that you do too.

There are some great things going on. Here is a summary of some of the best that London has to offer.

1. The London Zoo Penguin Beach is a must. (see an earlier blog)

2. The Innovation Station at The O2.
This is a space within the O2 created by Nissan. I went with the children a few weeks ago and they really enjoyed it. They call it the Innovation Station and it catapults you to the next level of car design. I have two boys so for them this was like cake and ice cream rolled into one. There were several sections where they could try new innovative car features including designing their own car and simulating a car driving experience. Plus they were allowed to get behind the wheel of a brand new car and pretend to drive it. Great! What's also good about the O2, is that the children enjoyed the journey of getting there and devoured the food there too. In terms of eateries you are spoilt for choice plus there is a cinema so you could do the Innovation Station in the morning and after lunch follow it with a movie. Good day out.

3. The Giant Edible Gingerbread House - Brunswick Centre. June 3 - 5
To be honest, its curiosity more than anything else that is leading me to include this in my list of recommendations. A giant house made of gingerbread? I cannot even imagine! Apparently it has a popcorn popping chimney and a lawn lined with cupcakes. Nuff said, we are there.

4. Art.
I find that my two are really engaged by art. Whenever we go to Art galleries we always come away enriched by the experience. And London is such a heartland of wonderful art, that you can in no way be disappointed. The Tate Modern, The National Gallery, The Saatchi Gallery all offer great interactive and  engaging experiences for all the family.

5. The Southbank (see earlier blog)
A guaranteed fun day out for all the family

Have fun

Mama xx

No comments:

Post a Comment