Tuesday 19 July 2011

The Barbican Weekender - Extraordinary Voices

Do you know, I cannot remember the last time I went to the Barbican. As a London girl, I find it astonishing that I haven't explored it more and taken advantage of the fantastic events they put on there. But the tide is changing, now that I have spotted an event that I think the whole family will truly enjoy.

At no cost for entry, the Barbican is hosting a weekend celebrating the dynamism of our voice! Channelling this artistic expression will be a combination of talented acts from choirs, storytellers & beat-boxers to poets and interactive media. All with very different creative points of view.


Their PR says. Hear incredible music acts such as soul queen Irma Thomas, Garifuna singers Aurelio / Danyel Waro / Carlou D, traditional Egypt folk musicians Suhbagiyya, Grammy-nominated Cajan band Feufollet and the infamous Frank Chickens. Don't miss choirs from across the city including the London Gay Men's Chorus and Streetwise Opera. For beats and spoken word, watch Tongue Fu and beat-boxing sensation The Boxettes tackle topics from every day life. Also, discover the voices of Barbican Young Poets and Julian Opie's installation plus much, much more... the event starts at 11am.

Look out for Swarm, a participatory event where you can actually become one of the performers!

Plus on Saturday night (July 23) there is a Silent Disco with DJ's Russ Jones and DJ Roc Hunter from 10:30pm. The twins will be tucked up in bed chaperoned by my better half and I will definitely be here with my girlfriends for a well deserved groove!


Have fun everyone. Maybe see you there.

Mama xx

No comments:

Post a Comment