Sunday 17 July 2011

Vintage Festival - The Southbank

Even if you don't go, you gotta know about this. I blogged about it under London Festivals but quickly realised that it deserved its own spot!

Friday 29th July - Sunday 31st July 2011
£60:00 per day (£75 with evening review).
I have to say, this festival sounds utterly amazing. It is the brainchild of Wayne Hemmingway, the fashion designer, who has combined all the classic design in art, music, fashion and food to bring us vintage cool at its very best.

The festival, designed to celebrate the 60th anniversary of the 1951 Festival of Britain,  will take ownership of The Southbank for three whole days transforming it into a Vintage wonderland.

From the 40's to the 80's each decade is to be unashamedly celebrated. Apparently the Royal Festival Hall will be unrecognisable as the entire building will be given a vintage makeover. Every single floor will be themed and those who have paid the fee can enjoy, dance lessons, makeovers, exclusive DJ sets, food, cocktails and indulge in the sale of a crop of vintage classics. There will be catwalk shows and unmissable music performances from the likes of Sandi Shaw and Percy Sledge (my mum loves him!) included in over 12 hours of performances every single day! My sources tell me there will also be 8 themed nightclubs spinning 60's funk to 70's punk, soul, swing, disco, pop and everything in between.

Plus the British Film Institute is going to screen a score of much loved vintage classic films and there will be themed party boats on the Thames. The excitement!!

It could be a day out with the kids or a night out with the girls or a romantic trip down memory lane but it has surely got to be done.

I am so disappointed that I will be at Camp Bestival while this awesome event is taking place but I will seek solace in the fact that I'll be seeing headline act Debbie Harry of Blondie fame live on stage and having my own vintage moment. 

Picture This!

Mama xx

1 comment:

  1. That sounds amazing! Found your blog on the New to Blogging page of Brit Mums. As a homesick London Mum abroad, I look forward to reading more! Emma :)

    ReplyDelete